Thursday, July 25, 2013

Transformation in Action

Center Court-What is your local vision?
I feel that when it comes to technology I have exhausted my attempts within my district to move forward.  I believe they KNOW what needs to be done but they do not have a plan.  They continuously talk the talk of how important technology is in education but they do not walk the walk.  They want it to drop from the sky.  There is a lot of wondering and imagining but no action on "why" we need it and "How" we will get there.  Each school is site based and when it comes to technology some administrators see the need and others focus in other areas.

My local vision is K.I.S.S (keep it simple silly).  I will implement the flipping PD on a very basic level. Start with me and then move onto a few of my colleagues.  We have a lot of untapped tech talent.

Check It Out!
Massive Open Online Course MOOC
http://www.mooc-list.com/

Utah Education Network  UEN-Valuable resource of teacher lessons
http://www.uen.org/k12educator/corelessonplans.shtml


Sir Ken's video of visual mapping of impressive and mind blowing.  Not only the imagery but the wisdom is thought provoking.


______________________________________________________
I have had a little experience of visual mapping.  Lacking the artistic part, I still am excited to see this process in a classroom.

Apps mentioned in video I have tried:

IDEAS
AirSketch
Sketchbook Pro
Brushes

***I prefer Sketchbook Pro with kids. I got the free version.  It's fine.



Public Relations: Helping parents and Community Understand 21st Century Learning
How to create effective presentations?

Effective websites you should:

  • Clear Vision and & purpose
  • User focused Navigation
  • User Engagement
  • Clear and Concise Messaging


Don't make me think when I navigate through a webpage!

REMEMBER---
When creating a presentation one technique is "timing out".  Create presentation in iMovie or prezi (auto play)  Have each slide have a time set and then as it plays

Garr Reynolds-Guru of GREAT presentations.  A former Apple Exec
http://www.garrreynolds.com/introduction/

Jim Knight-Instructional Coaching Guru.  Radical Learner
http://www.radicallearners.com/

Reflection:
Today's learning was practical and worthy.  I enjoyed the ideas.  Some were brand new to me and others I welcomed the revisiting.  My mind wanders to the Sir Ken Visual Mapping video and the multi-layered ideas that are flowing through my mind.  I can see it used in every content area and adding the audio of a book or teacher lesson so the student could "map" out his learning.  I can see the video being used at the staff level and allowing the message to come through without having an agenda.  I think that would be powerful!

My learning curve on online  learning is huge.  There are so many levels of discussion, it hurt my brain!  At this time I am in the role of listener and I appreciate the comments that were made in class.  So complex!






5 comments:

  1. So glad this has been a helpful look at tech--esp since you are already so steeped in it! Online learning is a huge elephant in the room for many districts (like Beaverton). They want it badly, but I think they're wise to tread softly and without haste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, What a fun two weeks it has been learning with you! I look forward to keeping in touch and hopefully seeing you again in the spring! Thank you for sharing your tech knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm. I have you in mind as a reference for SMART Notebook questions, so you can plan on hearing from me if I get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let the district get you down...use your knowledge from class in your spheres of influence. DO NOT conform or unify with those around you. Take pride in your new found skills and apply them to your trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep going back to the white board animation with Sir Ken's narrative, as well. It inspires me to do something like that with the Middle School Leadership (student council) kids. Cute, kid-drawings (I was going to say silly) while someone narrates the common-area behavior expectations. Can you imagine what they'll do with, "Go. Wash. Flush. Leave?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody, I have appreciated all that you have added to this class. Like Bobby said, hold on tight to your passions and keep plugging away in areas where you have control. What you are focused on is the right work. Others will either get on board or be left in the dust. Their loss if it's the latter...

    ReplyDelete