Monday, July 22, 2013

Tech Reflection of the Day


How can Sir Ken Robinson say what he says?  Don't we wish we could say what he clearly points out about the pitfalls of education to the right people?  I wish I could.  I believe that education is not about REFORM but about transforming.  It's not a revolution but an evolution.  

I believe that education should be "organic."  I love the word itself!  It brings the idea that we can organize without organizing and that we can start from within. It allows room for experiment and allows for richer experiences without recourse. It becomes personal. We have a lot of work to do within the walls of education.  

Sir Ken says that passion is what excites our spirit and it takes us on a different course. Passion needs to feed our spirit!  I am passionate about teaching and I am passionate about learning.  I believe that we have to recognize that humans flourish when things are organic!

I BELIEVE! 

We are in this together.  So how do we share our concerns and ideas without being "squashed" by the education nay-sayers?  

Thoughts?


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your insights from Sir Ken. What an inspiration he is. The challenge is to urge our circles of influence to nudge our gargantuan bureaucracy toward this thinking. Lofty and ambitious thinking for sure. But it's the right thing, I believe!

    Thanks for you contributions in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question..."How do we share our concerns and ideas without being "squashed" by the education nay-sayers?" This is a difficult task that I don't think there's any one answer for. Unfortunately I believe there will always be "nay-sayers," that push-back, in every school setting. I believe "buy-in" is the biggest asset to bringing "no-sayers" on board. How do we create buy-in?
    **Colleague pressure to conform (Get your "leaders" to be excited and share positive experiences).
    **Professional Development
    **Administrative support---not the "heavy hand."
    Just my thoughts....it's a big task that's very complex and I think it really depends on your school community and task you're trying to tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly believe that your positive attitude, inspiration and excitement, and "cheerleader" mentality will be a huge asset in trying to tackle the daunting task of sharing concerns, working towards positive change, and avoiding the "squashing" of nay-sayers. There will always be those who don't believe, who won't get on board, and who are reticent to change. Never let your frustration be greater than your faith in what you know is right for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really believe this revolution/evolution begins with each of us identifying one or two things we can do to provide our students and teachers with opportunities to experiment, innovate, create, and explore. It is very overwhelming to stay at the 30,000 foot level and only focus on the overwhelming change that needs to take place if our students of today are going to be successful tomorrow.

    No single educator needs to be responsible for this whole mess we are in, but if we each take one small part we can collectively chip away at it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Jody! Being part of the solution and staying true to your passion will keep those nay-sayers at bay. I just wish that we didn't get so tired and bogged down with the day-to-day struggle against the tide of negativity. This class and your clear thoughts can help us as we move forward. Nice to catch up a bit today...

    ReplyDelete